Saturday, April 18, 2015

Teen Summit Keynote Speaker

I had the privilege & honor of being the keynote speaker at The Spring Teen Summit yesterday.

Over 110 adults & youth showed up willing to learn more about preventing teen domestic violence & dating violence.

As a survivor of both (including rape), I shared my experience, my strength & provided hope. I shared how band aids are used to cover up wounds.  And I shared some of my 'wounds' (rape, pain, hurt, guilt).

I spoke of the sunflower seed & how we have 3 choices. 
1.  We could eat a sunflower seed for instant gratification.
2.  We could throw it away.
3.  Or we could plant that seed & reap a harvest for years.

We could do the same with our words.
1. We could say something negative which can cause anger.
2. We could not care how we treat others.
3.  Or we could plant positivity & reap the benefits for years & years.

The choice is yours.

I also spoke of honoring ourselves by demanding respect, cherishing ourselves & realizing we are treasured.

The audience was incredible & my hope is that they felt inspired.